My favorite jewelry designer, Flavia Cardoso is known for her "delicate edgy" 14k gold pieces seen in everyone's ears in the fashion biz. She is one of those people who can turn a carrot and sarong into a gorgeous glamping tent on the beach. She has now applied that talent to paleo baking. These muffins are so fluffy and naturally sweet and insanely easy to make.
I love to suggest a paleo baked good to anyone who is breaking up with sugar. Why? Cuz all flours made from grains spike your blood sugar, increasing your insulin and causing you to store belly fat. Your body thinks flour is sugar. By saying #nobetch to flour and #yesbetch to almond or coconut "flour" (literally blanched and dehydrated and ground almonds or coconut) your blood sugar stays stable, you get lots of protein and good fat and you don't gain an ounce.
- 2 ripe bananas (the ripper they are, the sweeter they are)
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
- Optional: dates for extra sweetness, chopped almonds and chia seeds.
- Galadriel's options : I added raw, unsweetened cacao nibs and unsweetened coconut flakes to mine. Add flax seeds if you are constipated.
- In a small bowl smash the bananas
- Next add the eggs, vanilla and coconut oil to the bananas and stir until combined
- In a larger bowl, combine all the dry ingredients (almond flour, baking soda and salt)
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture bowl – stir into a batter
- Next add the chopped nuts or raw cacao nibs and stir well (save a couple of tablespoons of the nuts or coconut to top the muffins)
- Pour batter into a muffin tin lined with baking cups – fill each cup about 3/4 full
- Sprinkle remaining nuts or coconut on top of muffins and place in oven
- Bake at 350º F for about 22-25 minutes (oven times and temperatures will vary – test done-ness by inserting a toothpick, if it comes out clean, they're done)
- Store covered in fridge, or you can freeze these to enjoy later